You may be sick of hearing it. After all, it was once and may still be a popular “diet”. Gluten free. I’ve been on a 13 year long journey to come to the conclusion that gluten is something that cannot be a part of my life. I’m currently suffering from a “glutening” right now. Not only are my glutening symptoms not fun, but I didn’t even get to enjoy my glutening! Through this I’ve told my husband that if I could have gluten, I’d have…a warm doughnut, beignet, croissant, chewy bagel, apricot coffee cake, French toast…ugh, the list could go on. But, no…instead gluten snuck into something and I’m suffering without getting to enjoy any of those yummy breads. I’ve been racking my brain, thinking back to what I could have eaten that had gluten in it. I dunno!
I do get to taste some fun things though! My sweet sweet neighbor and bestest of friends brought me some freshly harvested rhubarb not too long ago and I made these amazing muffins from it. I thought I’d share my recipe with you all! Gluten free of course 😉
Gluten Free Buttermilk Rhubarb Blueberry Muffins (Adapted from this recipe)
For the rhubarb compote:
- 10.5 oz (300 g) finely diced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup (3.5 oz; 100 g) blond cane sugar
- Place the rhubarb in a pot with the sugar. Stir and stew on low heat, until soft. Purée and set aside 1/2 cup (4.5 oz; 130 g) (keep the rest for another preparation (such as adding the rhubarb to yogurt).
For the muffins:
- 1 1/3 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 heaping cup finely diced rhubarb
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and have the cupcake liners in a muffin tin.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Beat the eggs with the sugar.
- Stir in the butter, vanilla and buttermilk (or plain yogurt).
- Add the stewed rhubarb compote and the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the diced rhubarb and raspberries.
- Fill the cupcake liners and cook the muffins for 25 minutes or until cooked when pierced with a toothpick. Remove from the oven, let cool, and enjoy!
Hope you get to try these out! Enjoy!